Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Finally BACKING UP Files!

I guess I'm one of those people that has considered what they would do (i.e. ripping hair out) if their laptop was lost/stolen/decided to crash.  But at the same time, until today I had yet to do anything to prevent this ripping out of hair and panic.
(Would my laptop DARE do that to me?!)

I remember people telling me horror stories about them losing everything on their computer.  I even read Emily's blog entry about almost losing all of her files.  Still, it just seemed like such a hassle to try and back things up.  (All you tech. people are right now thinking, "it's not that hard, you just plug in the external hard drive and that's about it).

It's true.  It's easy.  Especially when you have a Mac :)  Oh how I love my MacBook Pro.  I could go on and on about how wonderful it is and why it's soooo much better than a PC, but I'll save that for another blog entry.

Previously my lame attempt at backing up, was occasionally burning photos to CD's.  Most of those CD's, I have no clue of their location.

The other day my laptop froze.  For the first time!  Just for about 20 seconds.  Longest 20 seconds ever.  I had visions of the "sad Mac face" (does that really exist) a la Carrie Bradshaw on Sex and the City.  Luckily, my laptop snapped out of its funk and all was back to normal.  But that was what finally got me thinking...maybe I should back up the files.  I couldn't imagine losing all my photos!  There are so many of them stored on my laptop.  So many good memories I wouldn't want to lose just because I didn't backup my files.

So now I have this:


And by using "Time Machine" on my Mac, I have now backed up my entire computer.  Oh and what a cool function "Time Machine" is.  It saves copies of all your files and continues to do so each time it's plugged into the My Book.  It will literally save everything I'm doing...even the screens I have open right now.  Craziness.

Did I mention I love my Mac?

5 comments:

Em said...

amazing. why don't i have a mac???

Vee said...

You should definitely have a Mac! Everyone should :)

Brooke said...

I heart macs...and external hard drives...did i mention I have two and one is a terabyte? wow i'm a nerd but the thought of losing everything kills me! it would be absolute panic!

Vee said...

Yes the one we just got is 1TB. So crazy! I think it said it holds like 45,000 pictures - haha.

Tawny, Bo and Orion Aye said...

yay another fellow mac fan!! i'm happy to hear you have backed up your files! i guess i should too!