Monday, January 26, 2009

Old Fashioned Quaker Oats


I recently rediscovered my love for oatmeal. Not the little instant packs of oatmeal, but the old-fashioned kind...the kind you have to stand there and stir while it cooks in a pot on the stove. I love the comforting smell of it. It reminds me of being a kid and my Dad cooking us breakfast while we waited at the table. And you have to make it with milk...not water. And some brown sugar never hurts either. Fresh fruit as a topping is always good too.

Here is my question though...are Quaker Oats really superior to other generic brands of oats???


Ryan and I were in Safeway the other day and of course the generic brands of oats were on sale and probably cheaper than Quaker Oats at regular price anyway. Ryan said to compare the ingredients (which I usually do with other generic brand things - normally they're the same thing!). But how do you compare:



100% NATURAL WHOLE GRAIN QUAKER QUALITY ROLLED OATS

vs.

100% NATURAL WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS



What is that special "Quaker Quality"???

For now, I got the Quaker ones (what can I say...brand recognition and childhood nostalgia, I guess). However, I'd like to know if anyone eats the other brands or has any sort of comparison for me. I would imagine for baking, oatmeal is oatmeal, but what about when you're eating it by itself? Can you really tell the difference?



Enlighten me.

2 comments:

Em said...

oh my goodness!!! did you see my post on "oatmeal, straight up"!?! we LOVE old fashioned quaker oats, straight from the big cylinder and fresh blueberries on top:-) every morning all fall/winter/spring. summers are devoted to smoothies;-)

Christina said...

That is a great question. I would also like to know. Have you or anyone you know tried the Oatmeal from Jamba Juice? It's slow cooked not instant, I'll have to try it one of these days when I don't have time to make breakfast.